Wisconsin IRB Consortium
Directions for Requesting Review of New Studies
Important information before you request WIC review
· WIC deferral is not automatic. You will be notified of a decision.
· Do not begin human subject activities until IRB approval is obtained.
· A request must involve collaborators from two or more WIC institutions.
· You may be subject to auditing by the WIC IRB of record or one of the collaborating sites.
· The lead investigator is responsible for communication between collaborating sites and assuring that the correct protocol is being followed.
· Do not submit any IRB applications to any site until you receive a response from WIC.
· Any WIC member’s IRB may at any time immediately assume IRB review and oversight responsibility. You will be notified if this should happen.
· WIC will not accept studies involving prisoners.
Directions for submission
1. Download and complete the WIC Project Description and Review Request Form <link>.
2. Submit the WIC Request Form to your local IRB using the link on the WIC website. A copy of the protocol, draft consent documents, and institution-specific approvals must be included with the form. If no protocol exists, one should be developed using the protocol format described on the WIC website. The Request Form must clearly specify what study activities will occur at each site.
3. Do not submit an IRB application until you receive a response from WIC.
4. You will be notified by WIC whether or not your request has been approved.
5. Submit an IRB application as directed by WIC.
6. The IRB of record will notify the PI of IRB determinations.
7. The WIC PI (PI at institution serving as IRB of record) must notify collaborating investigators of IRB determinations.